Friday, July 25, 2008

Uber Commute derailed

I could hardly contain myself this morning as it would mark the first time this summer to ride the Uber Commute. The Uber Commute got it's nickname from my former bossman at Inside Tri magazine, Nick Ramey, who lived outside of Golden, Colorado in the suburb Arvada. When summertime came, he would boost his fitness for his mountain bike racing season by commuting into our Boulder office by riding up Clear Creek Canyon, on the dirt roads past the Gross Dam Res, up the backside of Flagstaff, and down into Boulder. I know what you're thinking...that doesn't sound too bad. Of course, he'd retrace his steps after work to complete the roundtrip. All in all, it was a smooth 5,492-feet of climbing over 42.2-miles maxing out at 9,347-feet above sea level.

After Nick convinced me to accompany him the first time, I was hooked. It didn't matter that I would drop him off close to his house, then have to time-trial my way back to the office to beat the setting sun or Colorado's daily summer thunder and lightning storms. We had some good times on that road. Boulder riding is defined by the dirt roads that connect all the best canyon roads, and the Uber Commute does not disappoint.

Despite the narled up washboard roads, we would usually escape free of mechanical troubles, but I have also been chewed up and spit out dealing with cassettes rattling loose, tire sidewalls blowing out and most vividly taking refuge with Nick in a CAT construction vehicle to avoid lightning strikes.

Today it was a punctured tube. So, despite having to turn back shortly after descending down the first pitch after Gross Dam Res, I still climbed up Flagstaff for the first time this summer (yes, I need to insert this one into my weekly training again!) and my heart nearly hopped out of my skin. But, I'm also convinced there is no ride in town that leaves one feeling as alive as Flagstaff and the Uber Commute.

For a link to see how badass this ride is, check out the ride link from Map My Tri's website:

http://www.mapmytri.com/ride/united-states/co/boulder/718163781

Ride hard,
Lars

No comments: