Sunday, April 26, 2009

Deer Trail RR

I'll post more later but currently I am not listed in the race results from yesterday's Deer Trail road race. It's nearly a two hour drive back to Boulder so Em and I didn't stay around for the results to be posted after the race yesterday so I only found out now.

It was a tough race yesterday, lots of exposure over terrain similar to Iowa and Minnesota, and that means lots of rolling hills. A group of nine of us managed to pull away from the peloton and with 20-k to go, a group of five of us broke away. We worked together until the last kilometer, said good race to one another and then sprinted up the final hill to find out the final pecking order. I launched the early sprint and then let up to give up the lead out to another rider. Greg Kraus, who did a lot of work out there on the road today, put in a great effort and jumped too far ahead to pick up his wheel. Another former pro triathlete, Nate Llerandi, also put in a lot of hard work on the road, grabbed Greg's wheel and crossed in second. I managed to pick off two of the riders and crossed in third place.

Today is the Haystack TT in town, a 16.5-mile course. I did some good recovery last night using the NormaTec MVP, a compression recovery tool popularized by the Garmin Slipstream and Astana cycling teams. My legs are feeling a bit tired from all the work in yesterday's race, but I'm going to give the TT a good go today.

Em is off to the pool now for Jane Scott's 1.5-hour Sunday swim practice. It should be a quieter crowd today with a lot of the usual suspects racing at St. Anthony's today.

LF

No comments: