Tuesday, August 11, 2009

5430 Long Course race report



To be honest, Sunday's race was one of the most uneventful races I've had in a long time. In racing, at least in long course multisport, that can be a good thing.

The Boulder half ironman has been an independent race produced by Barry and Jodee Siff and their 5430 Sports company. This would mark their final race as they recently finalized the sale of their popular race series to the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC), that is most widely known for producing the Ironman branded races, including Ironman Hawaii.

The 5430 races are always professionally produced providing a challenging course (at altitude), excellent prizes/prize money and stellar competition. This year was no different as the women's race had three current world champions on the start line with Chrissie Wellington, Julie Dibens and Joanna Zeiger all racing. The men's side was strong with Tim O'Donnell enjoying a breakout season, my housemate and sometimes training partner Leon Griffin, Minnesotan David Thompson and Olympians Simon Thompson and Tyler Butterfield. Butterfield also formerly raced on Slipstream development cycling team in Girona, Spain. The field was strong despite very small numbers.



In preparation for IM Wisconsin (MOO) next month, I have been cycling and bike racing a lot in the previous month and have not put in the hard yards in the pool. So, despite losing contact with the main pack of pro men, I was able to swim comfortably with a small group of the speedy pro women. I was pleased with this effort as I was able to control my effort throughout the 1.2-mile swim and exit The Res having used little energy.

My pre-race plan was to ride a hard but controlled effort throughout the 56-mile ride and hope that some of the other athletes up the road would eventually fall back towards me. I got into a good rhythm right away and just pushed away at the hardest pace I could hold. I passed defending champion Simon Thompson on St. Vrain Rd about 12 miles into the ride. I later found out he had been penalized for failing to stagger correctly, which basically means he was called for drafting.



This year included a short .6-mile out and back segment on Monarch Rd and this was the first time I was able to gauge my competition up the road. David Thompson, Leon Griffin and Australian strong rider Michael Cuppitt were 1:30 ahead and Tyler Butterfield was a further 30 seconds behind them. I knew they were strong riders, but I told myself to keep pushing and that I might have a chance to reel them in. After a strong second lap of riding, I maintained the exact time to those guys, except for Thompson who had jumped from the group and was 45 seconds up the road.

Onto the run, and after one of the slowest transitions ever witnessed at the event in which I proceeded to knock over my bike rack mate Leon's bike over twice and my new Felt B2 over once, I was out onto the run with only Cuppitt in sight up the road. I started onto the 2-lap mostly gravel run course at a good clip and reeled in Cuppitt at Mile 3. After hearing from Joe Gambles, a speedy pro not racing but out on the course Sunday, I was running in 5th place, I found a new source of motivation to hold onto the final money spot (5430 races pay the top five men/women). I looked ahead but feared Simon Thompson would be a man on a mission after his drafting penalty and that it would be near impossible to hold off a charge by him (he ran a 1:13 half-marathon in his 2008 victory).

The second lap was solid but with less than two miles to go my left calf began cramping and I kept having to shake it out in a sequenced move that likely resembled a wounded person trying to run away after being shot. It wasn't pretty but I kept my wits and made it to the finish in 5th place. It was a satisfying result, yes with a bit of luck (Thompson's penalty) but has my training for IM MOO on track.



Finally, I thought Leon put together a great race after what can only be described as a monster week of training (no taper leading into the race for that guy). He is in tip top shape and will be a force to reckon with the rest of the season. Also, a quick thank you to Jodee and Barry Siff as this Boulder community will truly be losing two excellent multisport ambassadors. Ironman will be hard pressed to top the productions the Siff's have created.

I also want to congratulate my sister-in-law, Kendra, who just returned after a six month deployment - where she trained only on a treadmill and bike trainer - to finish strong in her second half-ironman (and first race at altitude). She is very mentally tough. And, of course, thanks to Emmy for cheering at the race and for taking these photos.

Cheers,
LF

No comments: