Tuesday, November 11, 2008

golf w grandpa



12 more days until my last race of the 08 season. I'm quite motivated for a good result as I've had some of my most consistent run training of the last few years. At this point all the long, hard miles are done and in the bank and now it's time to recover, freshen up, and get to the starting line healthy.


I know the Arizona course quite well as my Grandpa Kent has lived in the western Phoenix suburb of Goodyear and I've gone out for training camps the last four years. Two times we've gone out during IM week and in 2006 I raced the swim and bike portion but pulled out while leading all amateurs at mile 9 of the run due to a foot injury.

Emily told me while she was cheering on the sidewalk with Grandpa, he kept saying "Go Lars, Go Lars" to every single person cycling past. Because it is a three-lap bike course, there are lots of chances to get motivated by the crowd. Emily kept a rough time split going so she could tell Grandpa when I actually came riding by. It is great to have family at the race and this year Emily will be towing Grandpa & Grandma around for some more action (I know she is bursting with anticipation). Luckily she will have Amy Marsh (she is injured but her husband Brandon is racing) at the race so they can place bets on the battle between husbands!



After the race is over, I'll be ready for a juicy burger, french fries, and maybe I can track down a Das Boot (the enormous German beer stein in the shape of a boot) to have with dinner. But, of course, the main reason I love going to Arizona is so I can go golfing with Grandpa on Monday afternoon! The former collegiate cross country coach and all around stud athlete back in his day is 76 years young with two knee and two hip replacements, but can't go a day without his two mile bike ride, two cups of coffee, two remote controllers to watch college basketball games on two different tv's and his weekly golf game. He continues to be one of my greatest inspirations.

Cheers,
Lars

2 comments:

MarkyV said...

After the race is over, I'll be ready for a juicy burger, french fries,
*************************
Name the place.

and after that... golden spoon fro-yo!

Finangers said...

we'll have to stay somewhere down in tempe as i don't plan on walking too much!....but in glendale - where the cardinals football stadium is - is a great joint called the yardline.

stay healthy this last week bud....looks like some stiff competition for us boulder boys.