Friday, May 22, 2009

Res back in session



Yesterday morning was the first day of swimming back at The Res for me. I've been a bit under the weather so missed opening day on Tuesday. Convinced James (http://hadmeistergeneral.blogspot.com) to join me, and I was shocked when he rolled down the stairs for the 6:15 departure. He still needs work though as Em was out the door by 5:45 for her 6 o'clock practice at Flatirons and I had been up drinking coffee since six too.

Fast forward to The Res. A handful of swimmers were already in the water and swimming around the 800-meter loop the BAM (Boulder Aquatic Masters) volunteers set up. This crew is headed by Jane Scott who is one of the best coaches out there. She is feisty, writes tough workouts, but always shares a laugh with everyone at the pool. It is so cool that she has opened up this opportunity and gets a handful of kayak volunteers to help out every session! This open water swimming wouldn't be an option without them!

I noticed two of the swimmers already in the water and looping around were Justin "The Predator" Daerr and Chris "Big Sexy" McDonald. I started just as they were coming in from their first lap and got a nice warm up lap in on the first lap. James waited for Michael Lovato to come around and started with him. On my second lap, around the second buoy I ran into James, who had emerged out of nowhere. I later learned he did not see the first buoy and had been skipping it altogether. He righted his wrong on the third lap when Lovato and I yelled at him for cutting:) I ended up swimming four loops (3k) and James swam 3.5 total (albeit quite a bit faster!).

I'm going out to watch and video tape the time trial on the Morgul Bismarck course in Superior tonight. I won't be racing due to this lingering cold and will probably just be racing in Sunday's Koppenberg Circuit race. Will still be a good weekend of riding though.

Cheers,
LF

2 comments:

Hadmeister General said...

Did you choose Chris McDonalds nickname? I wondered why you called him sexy lol!

Finangers said...

I know what you're hinting at, Hadmeister. You had already reserved the nickname "Big Sexy" in your cache of nicknames. Sorry. McDonald beat you to the trademark.