Monday, August 11, 2008

5430 Boulder Tri - complete

Well, this post will take about as long to type as it took the 4x100 Men's Swim relay to beat France last night for the gold medal.

Yesterday, both Em and I raced in our backyard at the 5430 Boulder Long Course Tri. It was a half-ironman race: 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, and 13.1-mile run. Great venue and really we couldn't have asked for better weather. It was somewhat cool with cloud cover most of the morning.

Em did great despite losing the battle of the swim to her hubby! She'd have you know she beat me to the water's edge but I outran her to the chip sensor that marks the official swim time. Seriously though, I'm proud of Em. She had a great swim as the second female and came off the bike as the third woman. She is still working hard on her run and was having difficulties breathing yesterday. We haven't figured that one out yet.

My focus going into yesterday was a strong swim/bike combo and jog the run portion in attempt to keep my legs fresh for IM Canada in two weeks time. If you browse through the results, I did a good job of keeping things mellow on the run.

Results link from 5430 Sports: http://www.myentryfee.com/results/Results.aspx

Be well,
Lars

4 comments:

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

Hmmmmm, Em's having problems breathing while running? Me, too, but only for the past 2 weeks or so, and only after the HR gets above 150 bpm. No idea what's causing it, but getting a little concerned for IM Canada. Hit me on the bike on Saturday, too.
-A

Finangers said...

Em hasn't been putting in the ironman miles so i don't know if it was a pacing issue. As strange as this sounds, I think she might needs to find clothing, or a run top, that allows her to breathe a bit better.

Usually if I can't breathe it's because I've overcooked myself too early in the race, but Em is smarter than that.

How long have you been up at altitude or now?

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

We've been here since 2000, and train higher in the winter, for Nordic Skiing. Elevation has never been a problem. This is a weird feeling, like the lungs are only getting half full and then I almost feel like the wind is knocked out of me where I would normally just keep breathing. Jared (Berg) thinks it is either my alignment out of wack (i.e. a rib misaligned and causing poor lung function?) or that I am simply not breathing with my diaphragm. I'm not sure I buy that though. Heck, the Science Museum of MN's Body exhibit told me I have 6 L of lung capacity, I should not be having issues! I guess I just thought if Em was having strange breathing issues right now that it could be environmental (allergies, etc.) but that has not been true for me before. Good luck with the rest of you Canada prep, maybe we'll see you there! If not, then we should ski this winter.
-A

Finangers said...

She did think allergies might be a potential problem, but I've never heard her so much as cough or sneeze before (good hubby, i am!).

She has no trouble breathing during the swim or on the bike so it's back to trial & error.

You're right, Amber, the nordic skiing has been the best part of living here in CO. I never skiied back in MN but we love going up to Eldora and WP during the winter. Em used to HATE me for taking her up snowshoeing and skiing when she'd come out from Texas to visit, but now she's somewhat hooked too.

Hope you guys stay healthy leading into Canada. Can't wait.