Saturday, August 23, 2008

race day -- IM Canada

I've been staying up the mountain from Penticton, home of Ironman Canada. 33km out of town, gaining nearly 5,000 vertical feet, is the winter ski haven of Apex Mountain. Since Thursday I've been living like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, locked away in the cozy Canadian-owned Double Diamond hostel. I lucked out and was assigned a room with four bunk beds and no other roomates for $23 a night. I'd like to know how many suckers in downtown Penticton got such a deal! Nevermind to get into town is a 20 minute (that's flying) drive down into town and nearly 40 minutes (again, flying) to get back up.

So, my little paradise had given me lots of downtime, but is complete with a giant TV - I watched Gladiator tonight - and a great kitchen with lots of leftover food that is up-for-grabs. There are a few other diehards staying up here, but the hostel owner, a burly snowboarding fellow named Steve, said four previous IM winners have made this their race week home. He mentioned this was Peter Reid's favorite refuge and I've heard Gordo Byrn also had his best results while staying up here. My guess is Ray Browning liked this place since he lives up the mountain from Boulder in Apex's sister city of Nederland.

Sorry I didn't blog as much as I promised. I'm typing from the hostel's computer which costs a whopping $1 (called a Looney in Canadian speak) for every 10 minutes and my computer monitor screen decided to break on me yesterday. So, I've been rereading some books that get me stoked for racing...and get me to sleep early at night!

What's my race plan for tomorrow? I guess you'll have to find out tomorrow (or Monday) after the race when I write again. Until then, best of luck to any of you out there racing tomorrow (Justin Daerr, Marky V) and may everyone race strong.

Skol,
Det Viking

No comments: