Friday, August 29, 2008

Getting back on the horse




6 days after an up & down race at IM Canada, I'm teaming up with Aussie Steven Waite and marathon runner John Gaudette for the 3rd annual 24 Hours of Triathlon. This race has a place in my heart as I've worked with race director Ian Adamson helping to promote it in the past. Ian is not only the epitome of a classy director but was formerly a six-time world champion adventure racer. The man has done everything!

What exactly does 24 Hours of Triathlon mean? Basically, me and my teammates will try to complete as many .24-mile swims, 11.2-mile bikes, and 2.62 mile runs over the course of a 24-hour period. They measure the final results in terms of completed legs for the respective sports and the winning team is awarded $3,000 for their efforts. Steven was the cyclist on the winning team last year and the two of us have no plans on losing this go around.

So, you might be wondering how I'll be able to set foot on the starting line 6 days after racing at IM Canada. I took two days off after the Sunday's race with only some light swimming to keep the body from getting stale. I also made sure to eat lots of greasy food that I had been craving, including McDonald's, Subway and Burger King.

But, the secret weapon has been lots of daily sessions with the puffy pants, more formerly known as NormaTec MVP. This active recovery tool was used daily by the Chipotle-Slipstream cycling team each day before and after - and pretty much every non-racing hour - during the Tour de France.

I'm also implementing the NormaTec MVP into our team strategy this upcoming weekend. So, while I'm out swimming, Steven and John will be hooked up to the puffy pants pumping the lactic acid out of their muscles. I'll make sure to get some pictures from the weekend and we'll see if we can come home with the top prize! Last year the race was filmed by NBC and you can find the footage on You Tube (under 24 Hours of Triathlon).

Race starts at 8am tomorrow at the Cherry Creek State Park outside of Denver and runs until 8am on Sunday morning.

And check out the 2nd annual Portland Triathlon results on Monday as Emily is heading out to Oregon to race at Jeff Henderson's race this year.

Get some sleep for me this weekend!
Lars

No comments: