Thursday, October 23, 2008

Running to higher ground


I told Em last night (twice according to her) that "if I'm not careful I'm going to start feeling like a runner". The reason for the increase in run mileage these last two months is so I can tackle my primary goal at IM AZ, to run the marathon.

So, I'm taking on the advice passed down to me from one of triathlon's sages -- Timothy Carlson -- who has tried telling me for the past four years that I don't include enough run mileage in my weekly workouts for successful Ironman racing.

I've been including two to three 1-hr runs, one 1.5-hr run, and one 2+ hr run each week and adding in one or two short brick runs off the bike.



Today's run was up at altitude on the Switzerland Trail up on SugarLoaf Mtn. This run descends five miles to the tiny valley community of Sunset before climbing back up the rocky dirt trails to the Switzerland trailhead. It was beautiful running weather, ranging between 35-50 degrees, with the uphill portion taking 15-20 minutes longer than the descent, with snow scattered across the non-exposed sections of the trail.

Tomorrow is a series of cycling intervals on the Computrainer followed by a short brick run leading into a big weekend block of cycling and running.



Changing subjects entirely, last night was our 2nd anniversary. We were married on the Big Island in a small ceremony with some of our close friends and family. That entire week was a blast having 20-plus Finangers and Deppes running around wreaking havoc in Kona leading up to our wedding on one of the public beaches between Kailua-Kona and Waikoloa Village. Last night we celebrated with dinner at Radda's, a great little European restaurant in North Boulder.

No comments: