Wednesday, October 8, 2008

One small victory...

This past Sunday Lars and I set out on a bike ride together. We were planning to ride out to Lyons and then head up St. Vrain Canyon to the Peak to Peak Highway over to Ward and then descend down Ward back home. We started out together and Lars warned me that at the beginning of the climbing in Lyons he would take off and we would meet up again at the top.


At the beginning of the 12-mile climb up to the Peak to Peak highway Lars and I were riding next to each other and he says "Ok, sweetie, I'm going to take off, I'll come back to meet you after I get to the top". Usually when this happens and Lars takes off, he really takes off and I have no chance to ever catch back up. It must have been my lucky day because Lars took off but he only got about 10 meters ahead and that is it. I decided I should try to catch back up for no good reason other than because I thought it would be funny. It was funny enough to me that I nearly killed myself to catch up to him just so I could say "You are going to have to go faster than that if you want to have the fastest bike split at IM." At that point Lars took off, this time for good, up the mountain.

The climb up St. Vrain was pretty difficult following my attack on my hubby but I still had a decent time to the top. The bad news is that on the next 10 mile climb over to Ward I nearly fell off my bike. I was going so slow on that section of road that Lars had time to do an extra few mile climb to Brainerd Lake and still got to Ward 10 minutes before me! I definitely paid for my little joke but I still think it was funny.


Monday was my birthday and Lars made sure I had a good one. We went for a swim at the North Boulder Rec Center and then went out to the Buff for breakfast. I had to work all day but then Lars took me out to dinner with some of our good friends at The Kitchen.

Lars just left for Kona today and I already miss him. He'll be there working for the next few days for both Retul and Slowtwitch. We have a contest of who will be more tan after his trip to Hawaii. It is a little of an unfair contest since it is supposed to snow here in Boulder this weekend. Luckily for me, Lars doesn't get all that tan so if I just swim outside a few times I could still win...

Emily

2 comments:

Amber Rydholm said...

we have a 3 hour ride on for Saturday and a 1 hour trail run on Sunday, let us know if you want anyone to train with while Lars is out.
Amber and Eric Rydholm

Finangers said...

miss you too babe. but glad you learned your lesson in trying to keep up with the L-train express going uphill:)